Replacing a roof on any property is one of the most important parts of that building and it’s a “big ticket” item; you want to be sure you pick the best possible roofing contractor. The Colorado Roofing Association and our members have put together this handy checklist to help homeowners and building owners make informed decisions when hiring a roofing contractor for a new roof!
Be patient . . . use the downloadable CHECKLIST below and take your time to make an informed decision!
- Ask your family, friends and coworkers for recommendations for a roofing contractor. The best referral is a satisfied customer.
- Avoid using door-to-door contractors! Many fraudulent roof scams can be traced back to door knocking contractors, so our advice is to err on the side of caution and only accept bids from local contractors you have called.
- Only accept bids with price, scope of work and materials written on them.
- Homeowners have a 72-hour right of rescission/ cancellation period.
- Request 5 local references that the Estimator personally worked with more than 1 year ago.
- Do not be rushed into signing anything, even if you are told it is just to allow them on your roof, do not sign it. Many times this is a sales tactic used by doorknockers and you could be signing a binding contract.